Thursday 8 January 2015

CLASS 5-DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH


DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH

The sentences that tell us the exact words of the speaker are said to be in Direct Speech.

The words spoken by the speaker are placed within inverted commas ('' '')

Sentences where one reports what the speaker has said are in INDIRECT SPEECH.

RULES FOR CHANGING ASSERTIVE SENTENCES FROM DIRECT TO INDIRECT SPEECH.

1.Simple present--- Simple past
(go) (went)
is/are/am was/were


2.Present Continuous--- Past Continuous
(is/are/am) (was/were)

3.Present Perfect----Past Perfect
(has/have) (had)

4.Simple Past--- Past Perfect
(went) (had gone)
or
unchanged

  1. Past continuous---Past Perfect continuous
(was/were) (had been)

  1. said to---told
    (COPY REST OF THE RULES OF NEARNESS OF TIME AND DISTANCE FROM pg 144)

18.can----could
19.may—might
20.will---would
21.shall---should
22. Ist person 2nd person---3rd person



EX A (pg 143)

1.The teacher said,''Manish,keep studying hard or you will fail.''

  1. Adarsh said,''My favourite sport is cricket.''
  2. Gita asked,'' Can I come to the town with you to visit the bank?''
  3. The Principal said,'' I do not expect such low grades from you.''
  4. ''Will you come to my party tomorrow?'' asked Gautam.
  5. The teacher said,'' I hope to see you at picnic tomorrow.''
  6. Preeti asked,''Why have you not done your homework?''
  7. Hemant exclaimed,''What a beautiful rainbow!''




     
    EX B (PG 144)

    1.Susan said that she could cook rice and curry.


    2.My father told Karan that they would go for a picnic the next day.


    3.The Principal told Imran that he had been promoted to the next class.


    4.The teacher told Mary that she was a lazy girl.


    5.Mr.James said that they had bought a new computer. 
     
    6.Mrs. Bagchi said that the students were studying for the final examinations.


    7.The man at the gate said that the family had gone out to watch a film.
     

    8.The Principal said that he would be punished if he was disobedient.


EX C (pg 145) 1.Shyam said,''I am missing my parents.'' 2.She said to us,''I have won the lottery.'' 3.I said to him,'' I can not meet you now.'' 7.The teacher said to the students,'' The earth is round.'' 8. The boy said to his mother,'' I am very hungry.'' 9.Grandfather said to Sukanya,'' Honesty is the best policy.'' 10. Father said ,''I have lost my car keys.'' 11.Yogesh said ,'' I want to go home because I feel sick.'' 12.Aunt said to Sid,''Tom is looking better.''

1 Comments:

At 18 January 2021 at 06:17 , Blogger Unknown said...

Please give the solutions

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home